OK, I may have mentioned I am presently embroiled in a weight loss initiative. While actual numbers here are probably not important to you - they are important to me, and I have over 100 lbs to lose before I am on the books anywhere close to healthy.
I have been watching the Biggest Loser this season for the first time and I have to say - I really wish I had tried out for the show. Had my sister been willing to go with me, I probably would have at least stood in line. It is amazing to me what can be done physically with enough time, effort, and coaching. My humiliation would be worthwhile to me if it meant I could finally get better and healthy and all of those things.
The one difficulty that I have with the show is that I am not sure if these people are actually given opportunity to spend time with a counselor. There is a huge component to obesity that is psychological: if there wasn't, the diet industry would not be making so much money on repeat customers. I honestly believe that for most people, there is a disease portion to their weight issues, whether that be physical or mental. No one would CHOOSE something that is so unhealthy.
One of my best friends has signed up for lap band surgery. She feels it is really her only option at this point, and is just sick and tired of dealing with all the garbage associated with the yo-yo weight process. Part of me is jealous that she is doing it, in all honesty: if I didn't think I wanted more children, I might consider it myself. My biggest internal concern is simply that for me I am afraid it is more mental than physical: while lap band may work physically, I am more concerned about what happens to all of that mental junk up there when your coping mechanisms dissappear. I've got enough issues with anxiety and depression as it is: if I am going to lose this weight I am going to have to deal with that stuff and do the work that it takes.
So I've started. I figure this is the perfect time: I am unemployed and don't have the excuse that I've not got some time. I have an elliptical in the basement, so I can't say I don't have any tools. I am writing down what I eat, I am following a food plan, and I am showing up to exercise. I am going to figure out a way to get this into my life and make it a part of my habits. And, the biggest thing? I am praying. I believe I am the only who can change me - but I also believe that not only do I need to take positive action, I also need God to help me along the way.
This is scary for me. Obesity is scarier. For myself and my family, I am going to change.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment